Sunday, January 8, 2012

Run That Body Down

How long you think that you can 
Run that body down? 
How many nights you think that you can 
Do what you been doin'? 
Who you foolin? 

I’d rather stay up late than go to bed early. I’d rather stay in bed than get up at the butt crack of dawn too. I’ve always been that way. I try to get to bed early but most nights I have too much to do to get there. Do I finish it all? No! After I get home from work, fix supper, load/unload the dishwasher (or not), wash clothes (or not) I just want to sit in my chair. Before I know it, it’s close to midnight!

On a good night I’ll get 6 hours sleep, maybe. At the 5:30 a.m. alarm in the morning, I’ll hit snooze and stay in bed as late as I can without being late for work. Breakfast is a travel mug of coffee, sometimes  accompanied by a Rice Krispie Treat or a PopTart on the 45 minute drive to work. I usually stay in for lunch but occasionally I’ll go with someone and get out of the office. By afternoon I’m dragging and think maybe a cup of coffee or a Coke might help. After an almost always stressful workday, another 45 minute drive home and supper, it all starts to catch up with me. Multiply it by 5 and by the weekend all I want to do is sleep in and sit around all day.

They say that if you start exercising you’ll have more energy. I have stairs in my house. Does that count? I go up and down the stairs, coming in and out of the house and also take laundry down and bring it up. And I knit. Surely that’s credit for some sort of exercise?
I know I’ve got to do better. It’s not fun being so tired. I don’t want to be the little old grandma in the chair who can’t do anything when the littles come over. I want to be able to do everything with them and for them. With that said…I’d better go to bed!  

I came back home and I went to bed 
I was resting my head... 

I didn’t really make any resolutions this New Year. I have some things I want and need to improve on, but I haven’t written anything down. Yet. But I still might. One thing I have decided, along with several of my knitting pals, is to complete some UFOs. UFO means an unfinished object. I’m an expert at UFOs. I finish the knitting part and I’m done. I don’t bother to weave in the ends or sew on the buttons or block something unless I’m forced to. Forced by myself that is. I just start knitting something else!

January in particular is the month to finish some things. So I’m giving it a try. Right now I’m working on the shawl I started (and stopped) for my sister. I know of three or four more needing the ends worked in. I haven’t taken the time to get all of them out, but I know there are plenty.
Assorted ends to work in and a couple of buttons to sew on
Trouble is, I also want to start things. We knitters call it ‘startitis’. And I have it bad! I haven’t cast on anything yet, but I did have a request for a scarf, much like the one I did as a gift for Christmas.
So now I have an excuse! But I’ll wait and do that as soon as the shawl is finished. I need a carry along project anyway, right?
Working on Judi's shawl

It’s supposed to snow tonight. If it was enough I might not have to go to work tomorrow! Then I could sit around and knit or something. It sounds good because I’m already tired.  

Kid, you better look around. 
How long you think that you can 
Run that body down? 
How many nights you think that you can 
Do what you been doin'? 
Who you foolin?

7 comments:

  1. Wow.. My favorite 8 words. I just want to sit in my chair. I'm sitting nut the 5:30 bell will bring exercise and another day to do it all again. Fighting the Startitis big time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I'm not the only one that loves to sit. And sleep. And the weatherman just said it is the snowiest winter in Midland's history... Does that mean you got to stay home today?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn that 5:30 bell, huh @Patty! But glad for another day!

    @Miss Bee...I didn't go in and planned to go at noon but we closed at 10:30 so glad I didn't! It was a snow day and we are opening late tomorrow. Around 5 inches here at the house. Not bad for the dessert, huh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor thing, you sound like my long lost sister, separated at birth. Try taking some fruit with you to work, or a yogurt. I keep a baggie of granola in my desk, toss it in the yogurt and eat that while I look at emails. You have to fill the tank or the car won't run!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Sue...funny you said that! Today I stuck in a yogurt and a couple of baby oranges for later! We had a lot of snow (for out here) and didn't open til 10:00. I'm sure that helped too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A Rice Krispy treat or pop tart!! No wonder you're dragging! You need some protein in there...you could hard boil an egg while the coffee is brewing, it would make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet an egg would make a difference but I can't stomach a boiled egg in the morning. I have been taking a half peanut or almond butter sandwich with an apple or orange for the drive to work.

    ReplyDelete