Monday, February 28, 2011

And How Can You Mend A Broken Heart?

How can you stop the rain from falling down?
How can you stop the sun from shining?
What makes the world go round? 

Isn’t it funny how you find out about things? She was thinking back as she folded the clean towels. A friend made a casual comment. She asked where she heard that. The friend said, well, someone said…and slowly the pieces began to fall into place.

Sometimes she still didn’t believe it. She never thought it would happen to her. She doesn’t even know the details. But it did. Trust has always been hard for her, in any situation. But for someone she actually trusted, to let her down, well, it was almost unbearable. She vowed, again, to never trust another human. Doesn’t it say that in the bible somewhere anyway? She’s sure one of her overzealous, pseudo religious, so-called ‘friends’ could quote it to her. They usually speak from both sides of their mouth, always spouting off about how she is supposed to be living her life when all along they should be practicing what they so self-righteously preach. Oh well, enough on that. Who is she to judge? It would make her the same as they are and that’s the last thing she’d wish on anyone.

She sighs and keeps on, like always. She thinks of all that’s happened and she really doesn’t have it bad at all, considering. Actually nothing much changed. Unless, of course, you count her metamorphosis. She became a tin man. Not a strong, sleek robot that can do anything. She’s a tin man like the one in the Wizard of Oz. She’s looking, not for Oz, but for a pattern. She needs to knit herself a new heart. Surely there’s instructions in a book or maybe on the Internet. If she knits it tight enough it won’t ever break again.
How can you mend this broken man?
How can a loser ever win?
Please help me mend my broken heart and let me live again.

My sister and I and maybe Callye decided to do a little project this year. Once a month we are going to send each other something. It can be, but doesn’t have to be handmade. Since I was going to Lubbock on Saturday I planned and took my stuff for my sister, with me. I gave her the brown cowl, for January and a set of dishcloths and a potholder for February. That wasn’t in the order I made them but I don’t guess that matters! In return I got a beautiful pair of handbeaded earrings. That’s my January. I don’t know what February will bring yet. Now I’ve got to think of something for March!
Cowl with flower pin accent that I didn't give her! Not her style.

Two ballband dishrags and a magic potholder.
My beaded earrings. Green is my favorite color!

Knitayear is winding down. I can’t believe it’s been almost a year. Not many more days at all! Day 331, was February 25. I’m reluctant to go to Lubbock. It’s like going swimming. I don’t mind a bit after I get in but getting in is the problem. I know it will be a good visit and I do need to see my uncle in the hospital since he’s not doing well at all. I chose beige worsted. Saturday, day 332, is Feb 26. I can’t believe I almost forgot my haircut! Thankfully I texted last night and Carlos let me know we were on. I’m thankful he did that and thankful that Callye and the kids are going to Lubbock with me. It will be a long trip but we are all glad to see relatives and spend a little time together. All in all it’s a good trip. It was just long, especially with me driving in at 2:00 am. I’m just too old to be doing that! I picked hot pink, purple and red yarn with little puffs on it. Day 333, February 27, turned out to be a really sucky day. But even though I feel let down, I’ll live. And I’ll remember the lesson learned. It won’t happen again. Black yarn with primary colors sprinkled through is what I picked. Day 334 turns out to be a typical (bad) Monday. I do get to work at TTUHSC, so that’s good. I debated all day whether to go to the shrimp fest and finally decided. It was fun, and I was stuffed! I used yarn that is turquoise blue and yellow. All was going well until I drove home. I’ll have to write down February 28 as the day I tore up Bryce’s car. I hit something. Or it hit me. I never even saw it but it did some damage. I didn’t realize how much til I got home. I’m so disappointed in myself. I should have paid more attention and been more careful. I’ll get it fixed for him as soon as I can. I’m hoping this isn’t an indication of the week to come. I need something good to happen!
I can still feel the breeze that rustles through the trees,
And misty memories of days gone by.
We could never see tomorrow, no one said a word about the sorrow.

And how can you mend a broken heart?

9 comments:

  1. I love, love, love that brown cowl. You need to start an Etsy store or something!

    And I bet that even if you found a way to knit a heart really really tightly, there would still be a way for it to break. Or fray. Or stretch out into a shapeless mess. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Miss Bee! I guess since it's getting warm I need to find something else to knit.

    I could always felt a heart...but you're right. It would still find a way to break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOu cannot help is an animal hit you anymore than we could...It happens, thats why there's insurance...It could technically be my fault since we had your car!

    I like the pics and that day in Lubbock was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's not her reason for the broken heart! And your brother was nice to me. He didn't dis-own me or anything. I finally saw the stupid dead animal today. That was a bit of a relief.

    Lubbock was fun. I have a reward at that place I need to use. We should do it again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your beaded earrings, the colours are so vibrant! The cowl turned out really well too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Sinéad. My sister does beautiful beadwork. I didn't even have a pattern for the cowl. Just started knitting. So good when you stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you ever share your patterns? I would love to learn how to make the ball banded dish cloths.

    I wandered over to your blog from your daughter's, found hers from a post on Ravelry, found Ravelry from a link in a news story about combat knitters... all this morning. I have enjoyed browsing your blog.
    Do you knit just a row or two each day, and are you making an afghan with your knitted rows?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Gayle! You've had a busy morning! Thank you for looking. I was excited to learn that my daughter's blog was mentioned on Ravelry. She'll be thrilled.

    Here is a link for the ballband dishrags. I didn't make up the pattern. It was on the back of a band on cotton yarn, hence the name and got popular when mentioned in the Mason Dixon book. It's fun.
    http://www.canadianliving.com/crafts/knitting/knit_a_ballband_dishcloth.php

    Stop by anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry...on the knitayear, it's at last two rows a day, supposed to be in a color reflecting your feelings for the day. I divided my project into four strips, one for each season. I don't know yet what I'll do with the strips. They aren't the same length which is interesting. They may be a crazy wall hanging! ha ha

    ReplyDelete