Monday, July 5, 2010

And I’m Proud To Be An American…

Where at least I know I’m free.
And I won’t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.

On July 4, 1776, the Declaration of Independence was approved setting 13 colonies on the way to becoming an independent nation. Independence Day is the national day of the United States of America. Wikipedia says National Day is a designated date on which celebrations mark the nationhood of a nation or non-sovereign country. Americans celebrate July 4 with fireworks, parades, barbecues, picnics, baseball games and family. But without the freedom we have being American citizens, this wouldn’t happen.

I wonder sometimes if we take freedom for granted. Freedom means the state of being free. And in America that means we can do almost anything. We have free speech. We can read what we want and watch what we want on television. We can vote and we can worship in the way we are comfortable.

On one of the quotation pages on the Internet I ran across this anonymous quote; “Freedom is never free.” It really spoke to me. My nephew is in Afghanistan. He’s helping people who don’t want our help. He’s fighting for freedom for a country that will never be free. And he’s fighting for us to keep our freedom. He’s been over there since May. By luck of the draw he gets the first leave and will be here in the states to celebrate his 22nd birthday. He has a Facebook page and posts when he can. It’s scary what he’s already had to see and go through. “Kinda messed up that for the month of June my battalion had 1/10th of the NATO KIAs. Even more messed up that for June we had 1/6th of the US KIAs.” They lose comrades and friends and then wonder if it even makes the news over here. According to http://www.icasualties.org/oef/, approximately 1188 American soldiers have lost their lives so far. It doesn’t make sense.

Next July when you are getting ready for your picnic and fireworks, think about what Independence Day really means. Think about the people that have made the ultimate sacrifice. In fact, don’t wait until next July. Do it now. Think about your freedom and all you are able to do. Then think about the cost associated with it. And be thankful you’re an American.


Well there's pride in every American heart, and it’s time we stand and say.
That I’m proud to be an American, where at least I know I’m free.
And I won’t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.

I’ve started the summer strip of the knitayear. It’s strange to be starting again. I guess it’s probably a personal thing but I really like how it looks. It doesn’t go together but it comes together. July 1, day 92, brought more rain. I like the rain and it wouldn’t bother me if it rained every day. I was relieved that it’s the last day before vacation. I’m so ready. I chose a pale blue/white yarn to start the summer section. It reminded me of the grayish sky when it’s cloudy and it’s a calming color. July 2 is day 93 and brought still more rain. We leave for vacation and I packed in anticipation of a restful time. I chose a blue/green ribbon yarn with different textures and sections of yarn combined to make one strand. The rain is making everything look so green and pretty. Day 94, and in the mountains it’s raining too. It’s so nice. Everyone who is coming is here. We’ll have a great time and I’ll be patient and take things as they come. I chose a blue/green/orange variegated. It’s a calm color combination and reminds me of spring. July 4, day 95, was a beautiful day. There were no fireworks this year as they had all been canceled either because of rain or drought. It was a day filled with family and fun and we just enjoyed each other. I’m proud I’m American and can make the choices I make. I chose a red/white/pink variegated. It’s patriotic with the red and white and the pink adds calmness. July 5, the 96th day of knitayear, all company gone, a beautiful day in the mountains and feeling revived and ready to face the rest of the week and whatever comes. I chose a peacock color eyelash yarn. It’s green, blue, purple and yellow. It’s bright and vibrant and reminded me of being energetic and alive. We’ll head back tomorrow and hit the next task. It was a good rest. I’m glad I live in America and I can come and go as I please. Thank you soldiers.

I’d thank my lucky stars, to be livin’ here today.
‘ Cause the flag still stands for freedom, and they can’t take that away.
And I gladly stand up, next to you and defend her still today.
‘ Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land,
God bless the USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment