Thursday, April 8, 2010

On The Road Again

When you live out here you find out quickly that anywhere you want to go requires a drive. I drive almost 100 miles a day just to go to work. School activities are, on a quick trip, at least 100 miles. The real grocery store is 40 miles away. It’s just a fact of life.

It’s interesting how people measure distance out here. For instance, instead of my 45 mile trip to work it’s 45 minutes to work. It takes four hours to get to San Antonio. It takes six hours to get to Austin. I’m not sure why it’s measured in time instead of distance. Distance is a lot more accurate.


The drive to San Antonio is a solitary drive. There’s not much to see but wide open spaces. When you get closer to the Hill Country there are green rolling hills. And the wildflowers are amazing. It’s pretty here this time of year.


Lady Bird Johnson is probably the reason we see wildflowers blooming along the highways. I don’t know if the wildflowers are a national thing but its fact here in Texas. The Beautification Act of 1965 was a result of Mrs. Johnson’s campaign. Known as “Lady Bird’s Bill” because of her active support, the legislation called for control of outdoor advertising and encouraged scenic enhancement and roadside development. When the wildflowers are blooming there is no mowing in the median or on the side of the highway. Wildflowers are probably just weeds. But they brighten up an otherwise somewhat boring drive.

On the knitting side, I’m keeping up with knit a year, as far as the knitting goes. I need to schedule my time so that I can write about it more often. I am keeping track though.

Monday was a frisky day. Strawberries, chocolate, champagne and leopard print. Enough said! The yarn is a novelty yarn from a magic ball exchange. It is leopard colors with gold and silver threads included. It’s fun. Tuesday was a generally bad day. Work related. Black eyelash yarn. Wednesday was the drive to San Antonio. Purple and green variegated for the wildflowers and green grass and trees. I enjoy the sight.

Today is a bright green handspun with touches of pink and yellow. It’s a Fiesta yarn and is so San Antonio. This trip has been fun so far and it’s definitely a fun yarn!

Tomorrow is the drive home. I’ll be…

Goin' places that I've never been.
Seein' things that I may never see again
And I can't wait to get on the road again.

No comments:

Post a Comment