Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Oh Girls They Want To Have Fun

If you have to leave to travel for work on a Sunday you might as well make the most of it.

My friend Sharon and I, armed with two Garmins, headed to Austin from Midland. We wanted to stop by Fredericksburg to look around on the way. I knew the way; head to Midland then take the Rankin Highway exit. After a quick Starbucks run we were off. Immediately both Garmins start saying “Recalculating”, mine in the annoying co-worker voice and hers in a male voice with an Australian accent.

I got my Garmin for Christmas. It’s one of the best things ever invented! I have no sense of direction. My family doesn’t understand. They all have built in compasses and know which way northeast is, even in a strange city. I turn the wrong way coming out of a store in the mall. I’ve seen many wonderful things I’ll never see again because I was lost and took the scenic route. So the Garmin has been a lifesaver. I named my Garmin after an annoying co-worker who is always telling me where to go and what to do. There is not a restaurant in the United States she hasn’t been to. There’s some sort of weird satisfaction yelling at the Garmin and using her name! But I’ll be nice and won’t use it here.

I had one of my “dark” blonde moments and I’m really not blonde. The Garmin has a clock on the lower right side. It said 3:15. Because pm is very small and I can’t see it without my glasses, I didn’t know it was a clock. I told Sharon we would be there in three hours and 15 minutes. Sharon is blonde. She gave me a funny look and said how do you know that? It’s simple. It says so right there. We had a good laugh over that one!

Because both Garmin’s were saying recalculate we decided to follow directions and turned as instructed. We were on a curvy road and it really felt like we were going the wrong way. Sure enough, we were. We went back to town to turn right on a different highway. Eventually we got to Fredericksburg.

We didn’t have much time in Fredericksburg but we hit the shops that were open. It was a great shoe buying day! The good thing about some of the training we go to is they put us at hotels at malls. It’s convenient and fun and a lot of the time you never have to leave because everything is right there. We explored the outdoor mall to see what was available and planned our attack. After training on Monday we took off and did what we do well. The night ended with Italian food at Maggiano’s Little Italy. It was a fun night.



Tuesday afternoon we headed back, again through Fredericksburg. It was too late to shop so we ate and headed in. Of course, we followed the Garmin’s directions and were taken way out of the way. Our six hour trip took almost nine hours. It was 1:00 am before I got home. Makes for a long Wednesday that feels like a Monday!


By the way, the training was good. I know a lot more about all the changes and what’s going on where I work than I did. Hopefully something good will come of it.


Knit a year brought variegated yellow on the trip down. It was a beautiful day and there were some more wild flowers, yellow and white. It was a long trip, but it was fun and we laughed a lot. Monday was an off-white novelty yarn with balls of different colors throughout. It was another good day and even though the training was intense (off white) the shopping and friendship afterward was uplifting (colors). Tuesday, the drive home, called for a yarn that is black with pink and blue throughout. It reminded me of our journey, blue sky, sunset and dark.


When the working day is done, Girls - they want to have fun.
Oh girls just want to have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment